Monday, May 17, 2010

My Shocking Visits To Schools

As a Vice Principal, I had to accompany our school Principal to different Pre-primary schools in North Nazimabad to give invitations for our school’s Open House.

We 1st visited Fatima Child Development Centre. I was completely disappointed to see the school. From the outside, it looked just like other schools I’m familiar with. But I was completely disappointed to see the inside when I saw dirt everywhere. They had dustbins which was very dirty, uncovered and was placed just besides the canteen table where eatables were placed. The walls were also very dirty with all kinds of stains and empty wrappers were all around the place and above all the school was stinking!! Since I have seen parents dying to have their children admitted in that school, I was expecting something else which was quite opposite to what I just witnessed. I was also expecting an impressive Principal’s Office with an impressive Principal but all in vain. The Principal’s Office counts a lot as you expect all kinds of people visiting you so it should be presented well. As our Principal started speaking to him (FCDC’s Principal/Owner), I discovered he wasn’t even impressive in speaking. Overall there was a lack of public dealing quality.

[caption id="attachment_24" align="alignnone" width="111" caption="This is how it works!!"][/caption]

The 2nd school we visited was MCDC (Mariam Child Development Centre). Who doesn’t know about this school? But again I was disappointed with what I experienced in my short visit. We approached their male receptionist who at the time was dealing with a parent. Let me tell you, that wasn’t how I would talk to parents who want admission in my school. Again parents dealing …..ZERO! The receptionist showed his arrogance when he should be polite and welcoming. Anyway, our Principal introduced herself to him and after 3 minutes of thinking he asked us to sit and wait. We were made to sit outside in their open area. From there both of us could see just about everything except the inside of the classrooms. What I noticed first was the lists they posted on the walls. Those were lists of students who qualified for St.Pat’s, St. Paul’s ,Mama Parsi etc etc and one group of names was written on an ivory sheet, the other on printout sheets , the other on ordinary papers and all handwritten which showed how hurriedly the assigned person wrote the names. Wherever has presentation gone??? It’s good news for God’s sake!! The children got admission in those well know schools!!!At least it should have been written in a very good handwriting or printed out and pasted on very good sheets that would look uniform.

While looking at all these, I recalled interviewing a teacher from MCDC who had nothing good to say about the school and at that moment I was sure 70% of what she said was true!

These are just two of those schools where most of the parents dream to get their kids admitted there, but the points I’ve mentioned might not be of significant to most parents and they tend to ignore it. But please….. a school, who cannot welcome you or can’t be polite with you, can hardly teach your child to be polite as well. Every child wants importance, how can you expect such a school to value your child when they can’t even write your child’s name properly?? In the world of Pre-Primary presentation is very important. I’ll be discussing about presentations in my future posts.

Parents please be very observant as it’s a matter of your child’s learning process! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I just googled 'MCDC' and got to your blog. Appreciate what you are doing here. My son is almost 2.5 and just yesterday we were visiting certain schools. My first choice was Generations but it's quite far from my home in Gulshan. However, MCDC just opened a recent branch near our place and we went there to check it out and would probably send him there from August.

    I do believe in quality education but there is no way a parent can discuss their concerns with the school people or ask them what do they have to offer. Most of them are uptight snobs by the way. You only get to see the receptionist who is really in love with her job and consider parents as pathetic losers who line up to get a stupid piece of paper (admission form) which can be easily put online or even submitted online. At Headstart, I had to explain myself to the bloody security guard to get in. From the schools that I visited, none was inclined to attract me, as an end-consumer of their product (yes, they are in a profit making business), to what they have to offer. Instead, they had this tacit message in their tones, that don't keep your hopes high, your kid might not get in.

    I asked the MCDC lady what type of system do they practice, I think there's Montessori and then there's Reggio Emilia method. The lady got confused and babbled something about different methods and 'AMI' being the best.

    Right now, I don't think that there's any other way than to submit to the norm, even though unwillingly. They are going to charge me stupid sums of money for arts and craft and other illogical expenditures. I can spend 33K on First R's Early Learning Program but to charge 8K for crayons, foam sheets, and charts is not just expensive, but downright exploitation.

    Anyways, I needed to get the above out of my chest. Is there ANY WAY that a parent desirous of quality education can get it from a school? Where to go for Montessori and how good Generations is? I'm thinking about putting my kid there from class 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I'm really glad someone came out and had the guts to say whatever you have said. And thanks for appreciating but more than that I appreciate you reading the whole blog(quite large); it is my desire to give parents awareness about all schools, especially about Pre-Primary.

    Regarding what you have decided for your son, that is to just submit to the norm and have him enrolled in MCDC(Mariam's Child Development Centre) since there is no other way, let me tell you one thing straight and clear NO! you are very wrong there. There is always other ways, it's better to have him enrolled in a school unknown to you at all than have make him go to a school where you're aware of their stupidity. Have you ever thought of the headache you parents are gonna be going through till he is in class 1? Because as I have observed you are a very concerned parent and you wouldn't let anything wrong happen when your son starts going to school. You know going to the school again and again with your bundles of complains and going back home disappointed because this is what you can get in such schools. THEY NEVER LISTEN!

    But decision is always yours. You have mentioned that you're in Gulshan, As per my personal experience I would suggest you visit White House Grammar School and have your son enrolled there under Mrs. Rubina Tariq's supervision. She is the Montessori Directress there. I've actually worked with her sometime back. And if given the choice I'll take my daughter to her as well if I won't find my "ideal" school.

    Secondly, first you as a parent should be aware of the different systems used in preschools now like Montessori, Reggio Emilia, Kindergarten, and decide which system would you want your child to follow and choose a school accordingly. Well I personally don't think there is anything wrong in any of theses systems implementation is what matters. Once you are decided which system you can classify the schools then. If you are okay with the typical Montessori I suggest the original MCDC (Montessori Child Development Centre) but it's in North Nazimabad and would be away from your place. It's good if you can come this area.

    Try visiting other not-very-famous school ,you will definitely find one. Remember this , a good school, knows how to please and satisfy parents, when you come across such school whether its renowned or not you will know you found the right one. What's the use of running after those renowned schools and just meet a whole lot of snobs, on the contrary if you find, a small school with good teachers having pleasant personalities, who would assess you in every way and entertain your matters whenever you have, wouldn't that be good?

    Anyway final decision is always yours. Read my other post regarding Quality Education; it'll help you think more.

    Regarding my opinion about Generations YES I'll support your decision when your son goes to class 1. Let's keep our fingers crossed that they remain like that even after 3 yrs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So naveeka.. m just confused here... u says MCDC (MONTESSORI CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER ) at North Nazimabad is good and Marium Montessori is all talk and no good?..

    ReplyDelete