Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Part 2/5: White House Grammar School - The Ground Zero

Previous: Part 1/5: White House Grammar School - Startup

With me, were another two Directress in the class. At that time, WHGS had only one branch and one classroom for Montessori. The students were divided into three age groups; reception, junior, senior with each Directress and all in one classroom. It was a bit challenging adapting to such an environment where three classes had to run in just one room. But eventually the three of us Directress adjusted gracefully to the changes since we developed understanding among each other. My colleagues were Mrs. Rubina and Ms. Raheela. Ms. Raheela joined the school few months before I did and Mrs. Rubina was a senior teacher working in WHGS since 12 yrs.


When I joined, the environment wasn’t up to the mark. In my point of view, a Montessori classroom should SPEAK. When I say speak, I mean that the classroom should have illustrations related to the current topics and each and everything should be labeled including the tables and chairs. The classroom should be well decorated and decoration doesn’t mean hanging ribbons and balloons but should have informative pictures and data in the soft boards or walls.

But all teachers were not to be seen in that classroom then. I started working on my allotted area in the classroom and this inspired my colleagues and in no time the empty classroom became bright and lively. After five to six months, I was promoted as the pre-primary coordinator due to my remarkable performance in a very short period of time. Although the whole Pre-Primary was in just one classroom, everyone could easily identify to which group a student belonged as the kids were a total reflection of their Directress. Those were really one of my most lovely experiences with kids.

Anyway after I became the coordinator, my senior colleague started to have resentment and I thought that it was quite natural since she was very much experienced than I was. Since my day 1 there I always consulted her on many matters related to the class and I did learn a lot from her too. I continued consulting her and asking her regarding any activities or changes that I wanted to make in the class. I felt the change in her behavior then.

That’s human nature and since I’m 100% human too, one fine day we had a hard talk. Well, I don’t want to discuss the negative part of my days there so I’ll just cut it short by saying that we got along eventually as she learn't to accept the fact that I was already senior than he in position and being rebellious won’t do her any good at all since I was further promoted as a Senior Mistress of WHGS’ second branch.

Living!

Next: Part 3/5: White House Grammar School - On the Highway

No comments:

Post a Comment